Tuesday, May 5, 2009

you know how i know YOU'RE gay?

you're suing Coldplay over the world's most simple chord progression ever. Seriously, people? Think of "Dammit" by Blink 182. I mention this as the root song as Blink is my favorite band but that chord progression has been used in almost every green day song, Blink song, Sum 41 song... think of a Pop Punk band who HASN'T used that progression. I think SONGS are copyrightable and I think LYRICS are as well, but CHORD progressions might as well be intellectual property. I didn't pay much attention to the original case against Coldplay because i couldn't care less, but now Cat Stevens "needs a quick buck" as i read in a youtube.com comment today, and i agree! a SLIGHT resemblance to a song that came out and sucked 36 years ago does not a case make.

Here's the thing... Coldplay don't NEED to copy anyone. I think they're a great band... and because of this shit, i gave "Viva la Vida..." another listen last night and it's a REALLY good record.. .which is weird because i hated it when it first came out. Anyway, stuff like this pisses me off. They are so successful, there is no reason they would sit around listening to some shitty tunes and say, "hey, you know what? I like this riff... let's steal it". if they did, it was probably "let's make it better". now, I have done that. Listen to LOTB's "Fuck Emo" and listen to the Ataris' "San Dimas High School Football Rules". we ripped them off PURPOSELY because it was satire... but it was also as common a chord progression as "Dammit" is by blink. show me an original chord progression and ill show you my penis.

srsly

1 comment:

  1. you know how I know you're gay? you're defending coldplay..

    ReplyDelete